Skip to content

Selvogur

Ölfus

Selvogur is the westernmost settlement of Árnessýsla. The countryside is relatively small, and the land resources there are scarce. Even though Selvogur had been a somewhat isolated settlement in earlier centuries and conditions along the coastline were challenging, many people lived there, and much exploration was practiced there during the winter. Most of the settlements in Selvogur have now been abandoned, but there are now three farms there. Ruins and meadows peek out of the ground and give an insight into the life of previous centuries, but now there is permanent residence on three farms.

Significant places in Selvogur include Herdísarvík and Strandakirkja. Herdísarvík was previously a large farm in Selvogur but is now deserted. Herdísarvík stands by the vast and open cove of the same name. Above the town is Herdísarvíkurfjall (329 m). Herdísarvík was formerly a well-known fishing station with several sea camps, and there you can still see the ruins of many of them. Also, see rock gardens in the lava where the fish was dried. These monuments were all protected in 1973, and Herdísarvík was declared a nature reserve in 1988. The poet Einar Benediktsson (1864-1940) lived in Herdísarvík for the last years of his life. He donated the land to the University of Iceland in 1935. 

Strandakirkja is a church by Engilvík on Suðurstrandavegur. The church was a church of the inhabitants of Selvogur, and a priest lived in Vogsós until it was closed down in 1907. Strandakirkja is nationally famous for its promises and rituals, and it is visited by thousands of visitors every year.